Home / News / Students jumping for joy after A-level achievements

Students jumping for joy after A-level achievements

City of Sunderland College students have cause for celebration once again, after receiving top A-level results to take their place at universities across the UK.

The college has the largest number of students in Sunderland, achieving an outstanding 99% pass rate overall for the third year running. This impressive figure will help Wearside students to go on to either further study or employment.

The college has helped 24 high achieving students secure 33 A* grades as well as hundreds of top individual results.

Nigel Harrett, Vice Principal (Curriculum and Student Support) at the college, said: “We are delighted with this year’s results! As well as the high pass rate of 99%, we’re particularly pleased that the number of students achieving the top A* grade has risen.

“Our dedicated Higher Achievers programme has also achieved excellent results with a 100% pass rate for those striving to get into some of the country’s most prestigious universities including Russell Group institutions.

“We’re very proud to be improving on our success year-on-year, helping our students to go further and do more with their qualifications.

“Here at City of Sunderland College, we pride ourselves on our dedication to quality teaching and first-rate support services to help our learners make the most of their education. I’d like to congratulate our students and our teaching staff. These results are a direct reflection of their continued hard work.”

Rebecca Musgrove, 18 from Seaham, worked hard to score two A*s and two As at A-level. She is now going on to study Jurisprudence (Law) at Oxford University.  Rebecca, who was elected President of the college’s Student Council was also part of the college’s High Achievers Programme.

She said: “I’m on cloud nine after receiving my results! I’ve wanted to go to Oxford since I was a little girl so I’m very pleased.

“It’s been a lot of hard work to get this far but the college is like a big family and very supportive, so I’ve had support along the way. I’m very grateful to my lecturers who really helped to me to achieve the highest grades possible.”

Conor McCormack, 18 from Whitburn, is well on his way to becoming a surgeon after achieving A*s in Biology and Chemistry and an A in Physics. He will now go on to read Medicine at Newcastle University.

He said: “I’m excited to start university in September – it’s all sinking in now! I’d love to become a surgeon but it’s a long process – I’m going into a five-year degree programme and will follow that with a further two years of training.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at college and have had great support from my tutors, family and friends.”

Claire McCarthy, 18 from Murton is off to pursue a career in Law after being accepted into Durham University. She achieved a fantastic four A*s in History, Law, Sociology and an Extended Project.

She said: “I’m really pleased with my results and so are my parents! They’re thrilled that I’ve been accepted into Durham which was my first choice. Competition for places is pretty fierce this year so I’m very relieved I’m in.

“Law was my favourite subject to study at college as it’s given me the ability to manage my own workload as well as learn to study independently – I think they’re both important skills which will definitely help me in my future career!”

Last year, the college was placed at the top of school league tables when its students achieved an A-level pass rate of 99% and 99% in BTEC National Diplomas. Also in 2010, 883 of its students went on to study at universities around the UK.