Home / News / Building firm expand family foundations

Building firm expand family foundations

A growing construction firm has hired two Sunderland College students as apprentices after winning contracts worth an estimated £300,000.

The pair, Callum Charlton, 19, and Craig Snowdon, 26, both joinery students at Sunderland College, have been hired by Sunderland based JC Builders.

JC Builders is owned by John Charlton and Gerrard Taylor. The firm has recruited the apprentices after winning three contracts.

John, 50, is also Callum’s father, he said: “After winning new work it became clear we needed extra staff but I wanted to recruit people who we could easily train to fit into our way of working.

“Hiring apprentices made a lot of sense and Sunderland College made it an incredibly easy process to go through.

“Callum had been telling me what he was being taught at the college and the skills fitted perfectly with what we needed.”

Both Callum and Craig are in the first year of a three year site joinery apprenticeship at Sunderland College’s Hylton campus.

Callum, who lives at home with his parents in Sunderland, said: “At college we’re taught a lot about building theory, health and safety and technical drawing.

“Being on site enables me to put everything I’ve been taught into practice and I’m learning a lot about all aspects of the building trade.”

Helen Drewett, 36, a training advisor with Sunderland College said: “A lot of companies are starting to benefit from hiring apprentices, the biggest appeal is being able to recruit a new member of staff who can be trained to the company’s specifications.

“At Sunderland College we can provide support to anyone looking to take on an apprentice.

“I strongly encourage any company looking at expanding its workforce to consider taking on an apprentice.”

Photo caption: John shows the new apprentices how it’s done. (L-R Craig Snowdon, Callum Charlton and John Charlton)