Home / News / More teenagers choosing education

More teenagers choosing education

More of the region’s teenagers are choosing to continue studying rather than look for jobs.

Sunderland College has reported that its enrolment numbers are up five per cent on this time last year, with both A level and vocational courses proving popular.

The college’s acting principal Nigel Harrett said: “Young people are recognising the importance of an education in helping secure jobs in the future. Whether they’re choosing to study A levels or vocational courses, we’ve seen a noticeable increase in enrolments for this academic year, up 5 per cent on last.”

Earlier this summer Sunderland College reported record pass rates for its A levels. Its students achieved an overall pass rate of 99 per cent, the fourth consecutive year the college has achieved this.

Nigel said: “This year’s pass rates were exceptionally high and of course this success has attracted more A level students to the college. But our vocational courses are proving popular too. We’ve got strong links with local businesses which helps our students secure apprenticeships and go on to full time employment when they’ve finished their course.”

Josh Colarossi, 18, from Horden has just enrolled on the college’s Peter Jones’ Enterprise Academy business course. He said: “I’ve always been interested in business and I hope to run my own in the future. I was looking for a course that wasn’t just about learning the principles, but one that gave me practical experience too.

“I’ve only been studying for three weeks but already I’ve learnt so much more than I did last year when I was a finance apprentice, or in previous business courses I’ve taken.

“One of the best things is that at the end of the year-long course I’ll come out with a qualification which is the equivalent of two A levels. It means I can effectively fast track my way to university and I already know what I want to do. I’m planning on going to Sunderland University to study business and enterprise management.”

The college still has places available on its courses. Apply online or call 0191 511 6000.