Home / News / Double top for student success

Double top for student success

After seeing-off the best competition the North East could offer, sporty students at Sunderland College are now looking forward to taking on the rest of the country.

The College’s five-a-side football team and men’s tennis doubles pair have won regional competitions and will now travel to Bath to compete at the British College’s Sport (BSC) Finals.

The five-a-side football team was unbeaten throughout the tournament and now goalkeeper, Givi Todua, 17, is feeling confident about the finals in March.

Givi, from Sunderland who studies sports excellence, said: “Winning the regional finals was brilliant and the whole team is now looking ahead to the final.

“The trip to Bath will be a great experience and chance to compete against the best in country. After our previous performances I really think we’ve got a chance of winning.”

Adam Herron, 17, also from Sunderland, is part of the winning men’s tennis doubles team and hopes the experience can help him reach his goal of becoming a tennis coach.

He said: “I’m studying sports development, coaching and fitness because I want to be a tennis coach. Being able to back up my studies with real experiences like this is great for my development and my CV!

“We were comfortable regional winners but I know the competition in the finals will be much tougher. It will be a challenge but I’m really looking forward to.”

British Colleges Sport is a membership organisation representing the sporting interests of students and colleges across the UK.

Don Peattie, head of sport and enrichment, said: “This success further demonstrates the College’s commitment to support, encourage and promote talented performers across a range of sports.

“This is part of Sunderland College’s wider strategy to increase and develop recreational and sporting participation amongst its students.

“We are particularly pleased with this success as it comes just after our recent department inspection where we were classified as ‘outstanding’ with a grade 1 for Teaching and Learning and grade 1 for Overall Effectiveness.

“Students who come to study with us can be confident that the quality of teaching and learning and experience that they will get will be second to none.”