Home / News / Cooking up a storm

Cooking up a storm

Grilled mackerel with spinach and rhubarb is just one of the tasty treats being cooked up by Ryan Miller as he competes to win the title of Regional Young Chef of the Year on Saturday (March 16).

The Sunderland College student has been busy perfecting his menu in the run up to the final and has high hopes of victory.

Ryan, 17 and from Sunderland, has already come through the local heats with flying colours and is now looking forward to taking on the best in the North East.

Ryan said: “I have big ambitions of being a professional chef so doing well in a competition like this is very important to me.

“I’ve spent a lot of time planning and perfecting my menu and I can’t wait to get started.

“My dream is to one day own my own restaurant and thanks to the training and experience I’m getting I hope to realise that dream.”

Ryan is studying for a level 2 diploma in professional cookery at Sunderland College.Other dishes on his menu include roasted rump of lamb with pickled baby vegetables, squash puree and olive oil potatoes and dark chocolate and orange semi-fredo to finish.

Rob Stewart, curriculum leader in catering and hospitality at Sunderland College, said: “Ryan’s achievement so far is great news for the college and for him.

“He’s a very capable and very professional chef, I’m certain he can go a long way in his chosen profession.”

Should Ryan win the regional competition he will go through to the national finals in April.

The overall winner receives a trip to Tuscany, Italy with Fillippo Berrio Olive Oil.