Home / News / A Level success for Sunderland College students

A Level success for Sunderland College students

Sunderland College students are celebrating, after chalking up the best set of A Level results on record.

More than 1,000 young people, who have studied at our campuses across the city for their A and AS Levels, have made the grade, with 99.6 per cent pass rate.

The results are an increase on last year, when we achieved a 99 per cent pass rate.

Emily Elkington, 18, from Tunstall, Sunderland, studied psychology, sociology and religious studies at A Level, as well as undertaking an extended project in psychology.  She achieved two A*s and two As.  Emily plans to study psychology at the University of Nottingham, and hopes to become a neuro-psychologist after her studies.

She said: “I’ve always known what I wanted to do and when my mother suffered a brain injury in 2011, it made me sure that I wanted a career in neuro-psychology.

“I was average at GCSE level, but the support and encouragement I got from the college made me blossom.  My lecturers had faith in me and I started to believe in myself and work harder.

“I put my social life on hold to focus on my studies, and just hoped it would pay off.  I cannot take the smile off my face today.  I’m so happy.”

The college has seen a 3.5 per cent increase in A*-B grades achieved by its students.

Nigel Harrett, vice principal, said that the results were a real pat on the back for the college’s team, who share a genuine commitment to delivering high quality teaching.

Nigel said: “I’m thrilled for all of the students at the college, who have achieved such great success this year.

“The team at the college work tirelessly to prepare our students for A and AS Level success, so it’s fantastic for them to be able to enjoy their summer knowing that they have sent scores of young people off on the pathway to a successful career.

“The results really are outstanding, and I am delighted for each and every person as they prepare to take their next step towards their career goals.

“Of course, we really do want to remind students that, for those who didn’t quite achieve the grades they were expecting, there are so many options available to them.  The clearing process will make it simple and straightforward for students to explore all of the options available to them, and the college offers a number of higher education courses that will help people take the next step towards a rewarding career.”

He added: “We offer a range of courses that are designed to enhance the skills achieved during A Level studies, from foundation degrees to HND (Higher National Diploma) and HNC (Higher National Certificate) courses.  The higher education qualifications are geared towards equipping students with both theoretical and practical skills, designed to bridge the gap between education and industry, so they’re a great route for people who are perhaps looking to move to the next level, but are not quite ready for university or the world of work.

“The key is that students who haven’t made their preferred university don’t panic, and work with their college or sixth form to ensure that they find a suitable course for them – there are scores of options available to them.”