Home / News / Sporting duo kick off careers

Sporting duo kick off careers

News from Sunderland College

A sporting duo who completed a higher education course at Sunderland College are gearing up for their first day of term – on the opposite side of the classroom.

Carl Jones and Graham Hill begin their full time roles as lecturers at the college on Monday of next week, teaching courses to help other adults kick start their sports careers.  Graham Hill will be teaching students who are undertaking BTEC courses, but will also support foundation degree students, who are undertaking a higher level course designed to bridge the gap between college and university.

Mr Hill was a student at Sunderland College between 2004 and 2006, and completed a foundation degree in Sport Exercise and Development, before topping up his skills by undertaking a course at the University of Sunderland that allowed him to move into a career in teaching.  The 27 year old, who lives in the city centre, is looking forward to getting started, and sharing his skills with people looking to make the break into a career in sports.

He said: “I completed a foundation degree with Sunderland College and was impressed by the standard of the course.  It really worked for me as it gave me a higher level qualification, but with more contact time than I could have got at university.  The course equipped me with both the theoretical and practical skills to get my career underway and helped ease me in to university, where I studied for a year after completing my two year foundation degree.

“The courses are perfect for people who are not quite ready to take the leap to university, but who are also keen to keep learning.  The range of courses the college offers are fantastic, and can help people who have perhaps just completed studies at college and want to stay on, or even people who are looking to gain new skills in order to get on the pathway towards a new career.”

He added: “It’s great to be able to teach people at the college.  Having been through the same route myself I can really relate to my students and teach them in a way that works for them.  And hopefully, I can do my bit to set them on the path to a successful career.”

We offer a range of HND, HNC and foundation degree courses that equip students with higher level qualifications to further their education and their career.  To find out more about the range of courses available, or to enrol visit our Higher Education Courses, call 0191 511 6000 or email info@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk.