Home / News / Star students awarded for success

Star students awarded for success

Beth Humphrey and Anne Isherwood

Sunderland students and staff celebrated success in style at an annual awards ceremony designed to recognise outstanding young people in the city.

We recently held our annual student awards for 16-18 year olds, designed to reward the hard work and dedication of the cream of the crop of its AS, A-Level and vocational learners.  The event, which was held at Sunderland Association Football Club’s Stadium of Light, included a speech from principal Anne Isherwood, as well as Sunderland musician and former Sunderland College student, Martin Longstaff of the Lake Poets.  The young musician told the students about his own studies at the college and the University of Sunderland, where he gained his degree and teaching qualification.

Staff, students and parents gathered at the stadium to recognise the hard work and effort of students – among them were learners that helped the college to achieve a 99 per cent A-Level pass rate last month.  Tutors nominated students who excelled in their studies, or who demonstrated something special during their studies at the college, to receive an award and well-earned recognition.

One of the our star students, Beth Humphrey, 17, from Seaham, was given the coveted Havard Book Prize Award for her achievements at the college.  The award is given to students in their penultimate year at college.

Beth was chosen not only for her academic efforts but, she also spent time during the summer volunteering in a hospital in the Czech Republic.  Beth, who studies biology, chemistry, physics and maths, hopes to become a doctor and said she was delighted to be commended for her efforts.

She said: “I was so surprised, I didn’t expect it at all, but I am so pleased to receive the award.  The ceremony was great.  My parents came along with me and really enjoyed the night.  They said they were extremely proud.

“It was such a great feeling to be given the award, as I’ve worked really hard and I am so pleased it has paid off.  I hope to study medicine at Newcastle University when I am finished my A-Levels at.  My ultimate goal is to become a doctor or consultant.”

Anne Isherwood, principal at Sunderland College, said the awards was an excellent way to celebrate the success of the outstanding students.

She said: “The ceremony is a great way to congratulate our students who have worked so hard this year.  It is brilliant to be able to celebrate their success and thank the team at the college, who work tirelessly to nurture talent.

“It has been an extremely successful year for us so it was very difficult to pick the winners of each category.  Everyone nominated deserved recognition for their efforts.  They should be very proud of themselves.”

Ms Isherwood added: “The evening was also a fantastic way to celebrate our recent results, to see so many gifted young people at the event is excellent.  Martin Longstaff delivered a superb speech and is a great example of the talent the college produces.”

For more information about our courses visit our online course finder, call 0191 511 6000 or email info@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk.