Home / News / Steve’s charity blue ‘do is a cut above!

Steve’s charity blue ‘do is a cut above!

Steve Bloomfield is given a blue-tinted close shave by barbering lecturer Mark Sowerby

A Sunderland College lecturer is feeling a little blue after having a close shave for charity.

Former firefighter Steve Bloomfield, who now teaches English at the college, took part in the hair-raising feat to raise cash for the Blue Lamp Foundation.

He enlisted the help of barbering lecturer Mark Sowerby who shaved a flashing lamp and the emergency services number ‘999’ into Steve’s head before dying it bright blue.

The wacky haircut was organised as part of a fundraising drive arranged by the college’s public services staff and students to support the work of the Blue Lamp Foundation.

Set up by the late PC David Rathbone, who was blinded after he was shot by Raoul Moat in 2010, the foundation seeks to provide financial aid to members of the emergency services after being injured in the line of duty.

Steve, who worked for the fire service as a crew commander for 17 years before joining Sunderland College, said: “This is a charity that is very close to my heart and when I found out the public services students were attempting to raise money for the foundation, I jumped at the chance to help out.

“Around ten years ago I had my hair chopped off in aid of Sunderland Royal Hopsital, so I thought why not incorporate another interesting haircut into the fundraising efforts this time. It certainly captured the imagination of both staff and students who have donated generously to the cause and I’m sure they will be reminding me about this for a long time to come.”

Steve’s head shaving antics, along with the cash collected by the public services students, has raised more than £300 for the Blue Lamp Foundation.

He added: “The college raises a considerable sum for charity at this time of year through a range of activities organised by staff and students – I’m ecstatic that myself and the public services students have played a part in supporting this very meaningful Christmas tradition.”

Chris Tubbrit, curriculum leader for public services, said: “It is very apt that our students have chosen the Blue Lamp Foundation as their main charity to support this year as many of them aspire to work in the emergency blue light services.

“They have developed a strong awareness of the charity and have taken it upon themselves to share the foundation’s good work with their peers. It’s great to see them share their passion and it is something I’m incredibly proud of.”