Sport and Public Services
Call 0191 511 6000
Who is this course for?
Our Combined Fitness Instructing and Personal Training course is for students who want to start a career in the health and fitness industry. This course contains the passport qualifications for employment in the industry and to progress onto higher qualifications. If you want to work in sport, health and fitness or as a personal trainer, then this is the course for you!
What do you need to apply for the course?
Students who must have a keen interest in a fitness career and some experience of industry practices. You may be encouraged to complete the level 1 fitness award prior to the start of this course if you do not have any experience in the fitness industry.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This course is made up 10 units of study (see below) as well as completing a Level 2 Award in Instructing Kettlebells and Instructing Circuit Sessions.
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
- Programming personal training with clients
- Delivering personal training sessions
How you will learn
The course will be delivered at our new sports academy and take advantage of upgraded fitness suite and studio facilities. The practical parts of the course include learning how to develop programmes that will meet your client’s fitness aims. The theory aspect of the course will be delivered using engaging teaching methods in our new state of the art classroom spaces.
Where could this course take you?
On completion of this course you would be able to apply for the level 3 in exercise referral or sports massage, or other sport and fitness related qualifications. Alternatively you could become a Personal Trainer or begin work within the industry.
What costs will you incur?
If you are aged 19 or over, on the first day of your course, studying at Level 3 or above, you are able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs of your course, similar to arrangements for higher education students.