Hair and Beauty
Call 0191 511 6000
16-18 Year Olds, Adult
Award to be received
Who is this course for?
This course if for anyone with an interest in hairdressing that would like to learn the skills needed to get started in the industry.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You will need at least two GCSEs at grade 4 including English Language and preferably maths or a Hairdressing NVQ Level 1.
You will also need to pass a skills assessment at the start of the course.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This course covers a range of practical Hairdressing skills and relevant theoretical knowledge to prepare you for either entry into the hairdressing industry of progression to the next level and includes:
- Cutting, styling and dressing hair
- Shampoo, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp
- Changing hair colour
- Salon reception duties
- Health and Safety
- Maths and English 16-18 (if applicable)
- Perming the hair
- Consultation skills
- Working in the hair and beauty industryAdditional activities include:
- Home study using Moodle (VLE)
- Competition work/photographic work
- External visits
- Guest speakers
- Work experience
How you will learn
The course is taught using both practical and theoretical methods in the classroom and our training/commercial salon. You will practice techniques on other students in the class and your IT skills will also be developed throughout the course.
Where could this course take you?
After completing this course you could apply the skills to find work in the industry or progress on to Level 3 course in hairdressing.
What costs will you incur?
You will need to pay for the following:
- Personal expenses during educational visits
- Hairdressing kit (you may be eligible for financial assistance)