Sport and Public Services
Call 0191 511 6000
Who is this course for?
The OCR Level 3 Certificate in Knowledge of Policing qualification underpins the full breadth of essential knowledge and understanding which would be needed by a competent Police Officer.
What do you need to apply for the course?
This qualification is available to anyone who is capable of reaching the required standards. It has been developed free from any barriers that restrict access or progression thereby promoting equal opportunities. There are no formal requirements for entry to this qualification.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This course is made up 10 units of study which are:
- Knowledge of providing initial support to victims and witnesses within a policing context
- Knowledge of gathering and submitting information to support law enforcement objectives within a policing context
- Knowledge of providing an initial response to incidents within a policing context
- Knowledge of conducting priority and volume investigations within a policing context
- Knowledge of interviewing victims and witnesses within a policing context
- Knowledge of interviewing suspects in relation to priority and volume investigations within a policing context
- Knowledge of searching individuals within a policing context
- Knowledge of searching vehicles, premises and open spaces within a policing context
- Knowledge of managing conflict within a policing context
- Knowledge of arresting, detaining and reporting individuals within a policing context
How you will learn
This certificate covers the knowledge requirements of the policing diploma. It is designed for those preparing for employment as a police officer and is normally taken before recruitment. There are ten mandatory units which relate to Diploma units. Assessment takes the form of centre devised tasks, projects and case studies, for which candidates collect evidence, produce solutions and complete OCR produced evidence checklists to ensure that all assessment requirements are satisfied. Learners will learn from combination of practical, theory and classroom session and will largely involve employer engagement from police specialist guest speakers.
Where could this course take you?
The Certificate in Policing prepares candidates for employment in the police service or you could progress to the to OCR Level 3 Diploma in Policing.