Call 0191 511 6000
16-18 Year Olds
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wishes to enter the construction industry in their chosen craft. It has been specifically developed for delivery in a training environment using simulated conditions, and the test(s) are based on what you can do as an individual through the completion of all the requirements of the qualification.
What do you need to apply for the course?
There are no formal requirements for the diploma but an interest in the construction industry would be essential.
What are the key things you'll learn?
General core units;
- Unit 101/501 Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Unit 201/601 Health, safety and welfare in construction
Occupation specific units;
- Unit 116 Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
- Unit 117 Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Unit 118 Applying paint systems by brush and roller to non-complex surfaces
- Unit 119 Applying foundation and plain papers
- Unit 120 Producing specialist decorative finishes
- Practical assessments
- Online/paper-based testing of knowledge
- Functional Skills in maths and English are also integrated into the course study programme.
How you will learn
You will learn through a variety of methods including: classroom teaching / craft workshop activities / library and learning resource centre work / information technology activities / tutorials / directed work with other students/ directed study in the learning centre.
Where could this course take you?
Upon completion of the level 1 course you could progress onto the level 2 Diploma or you could apply for an apprenticeship.
What costs will you incur?
There is a fee of £20.00 to cover the cost of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for use during practical sessions.
The course may also involve you in personal financial expenditure as follows:
- Purchase stationery
- Purchase of consumable materials
Previous Student Experience
This course was interesting and helped me understand the basic skills needed to take me to the next level.Bradley Stamp