Home / News / Talented lecturer awarded Master Craftsman

Talented lecturer awarded Master Craftsman

A talented barbering lecturer from Sunderland College has been awarded the top honour in the barbering industry.

The prestigious Master Craftsman in Barbering from the Barber Council was awarded to Mark Sowerby for his excellent work and dedication to the trade.

The Master Craftsman Diploma is one of the highest honours awarded nationally. Only state registered hairdressers with management and training experience, recognised as the cream of British hairdressing, are awarded the diploma.

Mark is a senior state registered barber and has worked in the barbering industry since he was 14 years old. He still works in the trade, at a barbers shop in Jesmond, alongside his teaching job.

He said:

“I am extremely proud to receive this award from such a prestigious and highly regarded institution.

“I was the first student to enrol on the barbering course at Sunderland College in 1991 and was given the opportunity to teach there by Judith Nicolson, my former lecturer.

“I felt I wanted to teach to invest in the future of barbering. I enjoy seeing my students develop, becoming professional barbers and making their mark in the industry.”

Mark, who is based at the College’s City Campus, has worked as a barbering lecturer at Sunderland College since 2012.

Find out more about barbering courses for school leavers or barbering courses for adults