Home / News / Student athlete dives into success

Student athlete dives into success

Sunderland College student athlete Cameron Watt recently proved he is a diving success at the National Diving Cup 2019.

The BTEC Level 3 Sport (Development, Coaching & Fitness) student scooped a series of medals in the three-day national competition at Ponds International Sports Centre in Sheffield.

The first competition Cameron competed in was the boys’ 14-18 age group 3m synchro, in which he won the bronze medal. He then went on to compete in the 16-18 boys’ 3m category, winning a silver medal and achieving a new personal best of 275 points.

Cameron’s achievements didn’t stop there. He executed his third dive in the boys’ 16-18 1m category impressing the judges, and was awarded a further silver medal. He also achieved a personal best for the second time of 249 points.

Carl Jones, Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) Dual Career Co-ordinator, said:

“Cameron has really embodied the process of student-athlete this academic year. He has made significant strides both in and out of the water.

“Cameron had said following his last diving event that he was looking forward to the Nationals in June and that he would do his upmost to win a national medal, and to achieve three medals across second and third place is an exceptional achievement across three categories of diving.

“Everyone at Sunderland College is very proud of Cameron’s success and we look forward to welcoming him back to further progress in his Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Sport, Development, Coaching & Fitness, as well as continuing to guide him as a Talented Athlete in our Scholarship Scheme throughout the 19-20 academic year.”

Cameron Watt, BTEC Level 3 Sport (Development, Coaching & Fitness), said:

“I’m incredibly happy with my achievement, I gave it my all and was so close to gold in three different competitions. I would like to say a massive thanks to all of my coaches at Sunderland City Dive Team and my synchro diving partner David Buckley.

“I would also like to place special thanks to Lee Moore and Martin Nugent for the strength and conditioning work they have done for me in preparation and to Carl Jones from Sunderland College for running the TASS programme, who has been a big support to me throughout my journey so far.”

Cameron has his sights firmly set on future national competitions and the college would like to wish him every success for the future.