Home / News / Sport student signs contract with South Shields’ Football Club

Sport student signs contract with South Shields’ Football Club

Student-athlete, Sam Hodgson, has recently been awarded a contract with South Shields’ Football Club’s Under 17-19 Academy.

Sam, who is studying the Level 3 BTEC Sport (Performance & Excellence), has also been awarded student of the term for going above and beyond, by the Faculty of Sport, Health & Well-Being.

Carl Jones, Football Development Centre Co-ordinator, said: “Sam has really embodied the process of student-athlete since his arrival into the South Shields’ Football Academy. He is an absolute pleasure to have on the programme and he deserves every success from both a professional and technical standpoint.

“Sam has made significant strides both on and off the field over the past 15 months and his  focus, commitment, drive and determination to be the best he can be has been completely evident in his approach, manner and diligence to hard work.

“Everyone at Sunderland College is very proud of Sam’s recent positive news and we look forward to continuing to work with him at Sunderland College and South Shields Football Club over the coming months.”

Sam added: “I am absolutely delighted to have a contract with the football club.

“I would like to place special thanks to the First team managers Graham Fenton and Lee Picton who have invested a lot of time in me since the launch of the South Shields Football Club Academy Programme.

“I’d also like to thank academy coaches Jon Shaw and Wess Brown, they have really helped to developed my understanding of the game, including factors such as double movements, link up play and developing my finishing ability.”

Whilst at South Shields Football Club Sam has also had the opportunity to perform in the FA Youth Cup, a national competition, and has had opportunities to train and engage more frequently with the First team.