If your application is successful, the employer will invite you for an interview. If you’re upskilling with your current employer, you may not have one.
Your interview will depend on the type of employer the apprenticeship is with. For example, you may only have one interview with a small employer but up to three with a larger employer.
Interviews for an apprenticeship are usually like interviews for any other job. They could be:
- Face to face
- With a panel
- Over the phone
- Online - for example, on Skype, Teams or Zoom
To make sure you’re prepared, you should:
- Dress smart
- Work out how you will get there and turn up on time.
- Prepare a lot! Research the apprenticeship and the company.
- Get feedback on your performance, whether you were successful or not.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand, want more information and to show you are interested.
- Turn off your mobile phone.
- Rock up not knowing anything about the company.
- Lie - it's important to be honest at an interview.
- Turn up late. No excuse will be good enough!
- Slouch in your seat or do anything that makes you look uninterested.
- Be arrogant - remember arrogance and confidence are very different.