The course is for people who want to work within the school sector and do not already possess a relevant Level 3 qualification. It will provide you with a ‘licence to practice’ unsupervised with children and young people within the school sector.
This qualification provides students with an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school and college environments. It covers all aspects of classroom support.
The qualification enables you to work with children and young people aged 5 - 19.
You will hold a relevant Level 2 qualification such as Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning or have experience of working with children and young people.
You are also required to have achieved or be working towards a grade A-C or equivalent qualification in English and Maths to enrol onto this course.
|Study level||Cost||Additional fees|
|19+||please enquire||An additional fee of £40 will be required for your DBS (police check). This may be wavered under specific circumstances. Personal expenditure is minimal but you will be required to provide items of stationary such as pens and papers as well as purchasin|
You will be taught using a range of teaching techniques including classroom delivered sessions, interactive workshops and self-study. Most teaching will take place in the classroom, with some opportunities for you to access online learning. You will also undertake a placement (voluntary or paid) to gain vital experience and to inform your learning.
You are required to have achieved or be working towards a grade A-C or equivalent qualification in English and Maths to enrol onto this course.
As you need to show competence in both skills and knowledge, you will need to be working or be on a practical placement during the duration of the taught programme of study in a learning environment (school or college). You will be responsible for arranging and securing your placement. You are required to achieve a minimum of 150 placement hours over the academic year (1 day per week).
This course will be delivered remotely via the Microsoft Teams platform. This will involve two hours per week (4pm-6pm) via Teams and you will also be expected to engage in independent study in addition to remote delivery, which you will self manage.
This is a part-time course offered remotely via Microsfot Teams between 4pm-6pm one day per week.
You will study several modules when studying this course including:
- Understand how children and young people develop
- Understand how to safeguard children and young people
- Support Health and Safety in a learning environment
- Support children and young people during learning activities
- Support positive behaviour in children and young people
- Support Assessment for learning
- Support English and maths skills
- Support the use of ICT in the learning environment
- Support children and young people’s speech, language and communication
- Understand how to support Bilingual learners
- Develop professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Understand how to support learning of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
- Support children and young people during transitions
- Engage in personal and professional development
- Support the role of play, leisure and extra-curricular activities for children and young people
- Schools and colleges as organisations
After completing the course you could find employment as an educational practitioner (Teaching Assistant/Learning Support Assistant) within the school or college sector. You could also choose to continue studying on the Foundation Degree Education and Care or the Foundation Degree Working with Children and Families. You could also progress and gain your HLTA Status. Completing the course would also allow you to continue your studies at a university level.
100% overall A-Level pass rate
97.4% of our apprentices progressed to employment or further study.
Destination data for Sunderland College 2019/20, Apprentice completers.
Our excellent student support services and expert staff will help you reach your potential.
Recognised regionally and nationally for our high-quality approach to careers education