Course Type / Attendance
16-18 Year Olds
Who is this course for?
This course is for people who are looking for a career in engineering or who would like to progress to studying engineering an higher education.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You will need either a minimum of four GCSE passes at grade 5 or above including a ‘6 in Mathematics. Or a BTEC at Level 2 Diploma in Engineering, at Merit Level with a Merit in Mathematics.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This course has seven mandatory topics:
- Engineering Principles
- Delivery of Engineering Processes Safely as a Team
- Engineering Product Design and Manufacture
- Applied Commercial and Quality Principles in Engineering
- A Specialist Engineering Project
- Microcontroller Systems for Engineers
- Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems
As well as eight optional topics such as:
- Mechanical Behaviour of Metallic Materials
- Computer Aided Manufacturing and Planning
- Mechanical Measurement and Inspection Technology
- Mechanical Behaviour of Non-Metallic Materials
- Electronic Devices and Circuits
- Electronic Measurement and Testing
- Computer Aided Design in Engineering
- Further Engineering Maths
If you do not have a grade 4/5 GCSE in English you will have to complete either functional skills or a GCSE whichever is deemed appropriate once you have been assessed.
How you will learn
This course is taught with a mixture of classroom based theory and practical work when applicable.
Where could this course take you?
After successfully completing the course you’ll gain a Technical Certificate for an Advanced Apprenticeship which will help you gain employment in engineering industries.
You could also progress to Higher Education to undertake an HNC/D or Degree in a range of Engineering areas.
What costs will you incur?
Call 0191 511 6000 for course cost information.