Course Type / Attendance
Part Time, Higher Education
Call 0191 511 6000
Adult, Higher Education
Award to be received
Foundation degree (FdA) Education and Care
University of Sunderland
Who is this course for?
This programme is run in partnership with the University of Sunderland, the qualification you will receive is awarded by the University of Sunderland.
This Foundation Degree provides a professional development opportunity for those working with young people in nurseries, primary schools, youth centres or similar settings. The part-time format of the course allows you to fit it alongside a job within education and care.
This course is for people who work in childcare and education who want to enhance their skills and career prospects and continue with their studies whilst still in work.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You should have at least two years’ relevant work experience, and should be employed in a role related to the education and care of young people
- BTEC Level 3; NVQ Level 3; CACHE Diploma in Education and Childcare
- GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications) in Mathematics and English. If you have studied for a GCSE which has a numerical grade then you will need to achieve a grade 4 or above.
- A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check that has an issue date within 3 years at the start date of the programme
What are the key things you'll learn?
The course covers key areas including:
- The curriculum
- Inclusion and diversity
- Creativity and thinking skills
- Childhood transitions
- Safeguarding children
- Social policy and child well-being
- The use of ICT within the curriculum
How you will learn
The course mixes academic rigor with practical skills that you can apply directly to your workplace. There is also a strong emphasis on personal development.
Modules on this course include:
- Study and Self
- Thinking Skills, Creativity and Problem Solving
- Human Development, Transitions and Change
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Understanding the Curriculum
- The Social Context of Childhood
- Social Policy and Children’s Well-Being
- Professional Practice in Safeguarding of
- Children and Young People
- Working Relationships
- Learning Technologies
- Project Design and Development
For full programme details please see University of Sunderland programme by clicking here.
Where could this course take you?
Through the course you will enhance your professional standing in the workplace and become a more valuable employee. It could also help open doors to new opportunities.
If you would like to continue your studies after completing the course, you can ‘top-up’ your course to a full BA at the University of Sunderland taking either the Education and Curriculum Studies (Top-Up) Work based BA (Hons) 1 year route or the Education and Curriculum Studies (2 Year Top-Up) route.
What costs will you incur?
2018/19 Tuition fees: £5,000 per year
Other course costs:
DBS clearance is compulsory and the current fee is £44.
Printing for your course – you will receive £30 credit for printing which will be paid in three instalments of £10 per term. Any printing requirements in excess of this can be purchased.
Purchasing of course texts is optional. You will have full free access to Sunderland College Learning Centre books, journals and internet and computer use and The Murray Library at University of Sunderland.
You will be expected to provide your own pens, paper and folders.
This information was correct at the time of publication, however the Government is currently discussing future fee levels; once any changes have been announced and formalised we will update our website accordingly.