Call 0191 511 6000
Who is this course for?
This qualification provides learners with the skills and knowledge to support individuals with learning disabilities. This qualification is designed for a range of learners.
It is ideal for those of you who
- Already support individuals with learning difficulties as part of your job role (Health, Care, Education)
- You already work/support the Health, Care or Education sector but are new to learning disability services
- Have a job role not exclusively focused around supporting individuals with learning disabilities, but have some contact and wish to develop relevant skills and knowledge.
- Are community and volunteer carers whose role includes contact with individuals with learning disabilities
- Have other roles such as mentor, employment care adviser or palliative care professional and wish to develop their service to meet the needs of a wider range of service users.
- Work in learning disability services and want a short qualification for CPD
What do you need to apply for the course?
Learners should have a minimum of level two in literacy and numeracy or equivalent. Learners may benefits from having completed qualifications in a related subject at level 2.
What are the key things you'll learn?
The qualification is contextualised to a learner’s needs so that they are able to provide high quality, person-centred support to individuals with learning disabilities. The course includes, supporting person-centred thinking and planning and an introduction to effective communication
How you will learn
The course is classroom based and will include discussions, group work, observation, assignments, work placements and assessments.
Where could this course take you?
Learners can progress to a Level 4 course in a related subject upon successful completion.
What costs will you incur?
If you are aged 19 or over, on the first day of your course, studying at Level 3 or above, you are able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs of your course, similar to arrangements for higher education students.