Hair and Beauty
Call 0191 511 6000
16-18 Year Olds, Adult
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who has a genuine interest in gent’s hairdressing/barbering and would like to gain the skills required to work in the industry.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You will need to have a minimum of two GCSE’s at grade D or a Level 1 hairdressing qualification and you will be required to pass a skills assessment at the start of the course.
What are the key things you'll learn?
The course covers key areas of barbering including:
- Health and Safety
- How to shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- How to cut hair using basic barbering techniques
- How to cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- How to dry and finish men’s hair
- How to create basic patters in hair
- How to advise and consul with clients
- Positive impressions
Basic skills in communication and numeracy are also integrated into the course (16-18’s only) if applicable.
Home study – Moodle (VLE) Competition work
How you will learn
The course is taught using both practical and theoretical methods in the classroom and in our dedicated training or commercial barber salons. You will be expected to work on other students to practice your skills.
Where could this course take you?
After successfully completing the course you could progress onto the NVQ Level 3 in Barbering or seek employment in industry.
What costs will you incur?
Depending on your circumstances you may incur the following costs:
- Tuition fee (19+)
- Registration fee (19+)
- Work wear – approximately £20.00
- Kit – approximately £20.00
- Personal expenses during educational visits
- Barbering tool kit
If you have not yet achieved a full level 2 qualification (i.e. 5 GCSE’s at grade C) this course may be free.
You may be eligible for financial assistance.