Home / News / A-Level Biology students achieve success in worldwide competition

A-Level Biology students achieve success in worldwide competition

Students from Sunderland Sixth Form have taken part in the annual Intermediate Biology Olympiad, a worldwide competition organised by the Royal Society of Biology.

Over 5,600 students from 380 schools around the world took part in the online exam, including 11 A-Level Biology students from Sunderland Sixth Form who achieved 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze, 3 highly commended and 3 commended.

The exam put students’ knowledge of Biology to the test and aimed to encourage young people to continue studying the biosciences beyond post-16 education and up to degree level. The questions set in the exam covered topics students typically cover at GCSE and AS Level.

Nathan Beckett, who achieved gold, said “After sixth form I hope to study medicine at university and become a doctor. I entered the Intermediate Biology Olympiad as I wanted to test myself on my further biological knowledge and show universities my passion for the subject”.

Gemma Willis, A-Level Biology lecturer at Sunderland Sixth Form said “It was a very challenging competition and we did fantastically to achieve such a high number of awards and commendations which is testament to the hard work that the students have put into their studies”

Sunderland Sixth Form offers the widest range of A-Levels in the city with 100% pass rate in 16 A-Level courses. Find out more about the opportunities available to you as a Sunderland Sixth Form student at our next open evening in January. Visit the website to take a look at our range of courses and see event dates here.