Home / News / Student-athlete called into England under 18 Schoolboys Football Association Northern Squad

Student-athlete called into England under 18 Schoolboys Football Association Northern Squad

Student-athlete, Mathew Wade, has been called into the England under 18 Schoolboys Football Association Northern Squad (ESFA).

This will provide Mathew with further opportunities to progress at a national level within football, beyond a regional level, progressing to competing with the best English under 18 Schoolboys within the country.

This will lead to international competition and engagement with potential travel overseas; an experience which will also support Mathew within the academy programme at Mariners Park as he strives for success with the football club.

Carl Jones, Football Development Centre Co-ordinator, said: “Mathew has engaged exceptionally well since his arrival into the South Shields’ Football Academy in August 2018.

“He is a hardworking and well-mannered student-athlete who shows the upmost of respect for those who he encounters.

“Mathew has been performing to an extremely high level in the classroom, and is now reaping the rewards of his dedicated approach on the pitch. Mathew’s application has been brilliant on the programme, he has had to overcome a difficult time within the academy when he suffered an injury to his knee which prevented him from engaging professionally within training for a period of months, but his character has shone through in this difficult spell.”

Mathew studies the Level 3 BTEC National Extended Diploma in Sport, Performance and Excellence as well as continuing to engage within the under 17 and under 19 South Shields Football Club Academy Programme.

Carl added: “It is of no surprise that Mathew has come full circle from his earlier injury, this is testament to his hard work. If Mathew continues to produce the level of coursework he has since joining us, he will leave his two-year further education programme qualification with D*D*D*.

“We look forward to continuing to work with him at Sunderland College and South Shields Football Club over the coming months, and seeing what the future holds for Mathew.”

As a result of Mathew’s recent achievements, he has recently received an award for performance within the Sport department for his efforts over the last 15 months.

Mathew added: “I am very proud to be called up into the English under 18 Schoolboys Football Association Northern Squad (ESFA) following recent successful trial periods to engage for the national squad.

“There remains one final step in order to make the final National Squad, this is a fixture between the North v South on Saturday 30th November in Staffordshire, I will give it my all, in order to be successful in this final trial match.

“I would like to thank Improtech Soccer for their technical and tactical development within my game from a young age and also my dad for helping me with my physical development which has been supporting my progress on the pitch. I would also like to place thanks to South Shields Football Club for their trust in me as they continue to develop all aspects of my game; they have provided me with the platform to engage within the FA Youth Cup, a Nationally recognised competition, supported me with progress at Northumberland County FA and Durham County Schools FA as I look to continue to improve on this performance pathway. Recently, I was provided the opportunity to engage with the First team in the Durham Challenge Cup against Ryton. This was my first taste of First team football and I will strive for further opportunities like this.”