Electrical and Engineering
16-18 Year Olds
Who is this course for?
This course is for people who are looking for a career in engineering or who would like to progress to studying engineering an higher education.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You will need either a minimum of four GCSE passes at grade C or above including a 6 in Mathematics. Or a BTEC at Level 2 Diploma in Engineering, at Merit Level with a Merit in Mathematics.
If you do not have a grade 4 GCSE in English you will have to complete either functional skills or a GCSE whichever is deemed appropriate once you have been assessed.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This course has six mandatory topics:
- Health and safety in the engineering workplace
- Communications for engineering technicians
- Engineering Project
- Mathematics for engineering technicians
- Mechanical principles and applications
- Electrical and electronic principles
As well as optional topics:
- Engineering Drawing for Technicians
- Computer Aided Drafting
- Engineering Primary Forming Processes
- Applications of Computer Numerical Control in Engineering
- Engineering Secondary and Finishing Techniques
How you will learn
This course is taught with a mixture of classroom based theory and practical work when applicable.
Where could this course take you?
You could progress to Higher Education to undertake an HNC/D or Degree in a range of Engineering areas.
What costs will you incur?
If you are aged 19 or over, on the first day of your course, studying at Level 3 or above, you are able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs of your course, similar to arrangements for higher education students.