Course Type / Attendance

Part Time, Skills & Qualifications

Subject Area


Start Date

Call 0191 511 6000

Course Length

1 year







Course Level


Home / Course / Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools – Level 3

Who is this course for?

The course is for people who want to work within the school sector and do not already possess a relevant Level 3 qualification.  It will provide you with a ‘licence to practice’ unsupervised with children and young people within the school sector.

What do you need to apply for the course?

You’ll need to be over 19 and hold a relevant Level 2 qualification such as Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools or have experience of working with children and young people.  In addition you will need to possess an Adult Literacy and Numeracy Level 2 qualification such as GCSE grade C or equivalent.

You will also be required to complete a Target Skills Assessment, a health questionnaire, a CRB (police check) and satisfy the Education and Care Team at interview that you are the right student for the course.

What are the key things you'll learn?

This course will give you the skills and knowledge specifically for working within the school sector covering:

  • Understanding how to safeguard the well-being of children and young people
  • Promoting children and young people’s positive behaviour
  • Promote equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
  • Developing professional relationships with children, young people and adults

How you will learn

The course is both theoretical and practical and is assessed within college and a relevant educational setting (one day per week in a workplace environment).

Where could this course take you?

After completing the course you could find employment as an educational practitioner (Teaching Assistant/Learning Support Assistant) within the school sector.

You could also choose to continue studying on the FdA Education and Care course or gain your HLTA Status.

Completing the course would also allow you to continue your studies at a university level.

What costs will you incur?

An additional fee of £44 will be required for your CRB (police check).  This may be wavered under specific circumstances.

Personal expenditure is minimal but you will be required to provide items of stationary such as pens and papers as well as purchasing a memory stick for use in college.  You will also need to ensure you can travel to college and your work placement on a weekly basis.

If you are aged 19 or over, on the first day of your course, studying at Level 3 or above, you are able to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs of your course, similar to arrangements for higher education students.

Previous Student Experience

Being made redundant gave me the opportunity to revaluate my career. I enrolled on the course and found the lecturers to be greatly supportive, and through the knowledge and confidence I gained during the course and my placement, I secured part-time employment in a primary school. I’ve now gained full-time employment and am progressing on to an FdA in Education and Care.

Melanie Howarth Current level three student, progressing to FdA in Education and Care (Higher Education).