Eligibility for our 16-18 Student Transport Scheme is detailed below:
- Household income less than £25,000
- If you live more than 1 mile from your campus of study you will receive travel support
- Household income between £25,000 and £40,000
- If you live more than 5 miles from your campus of study you will receive travel support through the Student Transport Scheme
Students will receive support via the cheapest route which may be:
- A Go North East Key Card (Sunderland College only)
- £30 a month towards the cost of a Stagecoach VIP Megarider pass or a 16-18 Pop Card
- £60 a month maximum towards the cost of other transport or where a combination of travel is required
Download the information here:
Terms & Conditions
Eligible students must:
- be attending a full time Study Programme
- achieve good attendance and punctuality on their whole programme of study
- maintain good standards of behaviour in line with the College’s code of conduct
Students will be issued with a Key Card enabling them to travel on Go North East transport to get to and from College and to placement.
The Key Card can be used weekdays, Monday – Friday before 6.00 pm during term time. Students who have regular timetabled lessons after 6.00 pm will be issued with an all-day Key Card.
Sunderland College will make payment for your travel costs incurred directly to Go North East as the transport provider. There is no cash alternative or equivalent and this support is not transferable. Sunderland College will not refund the cost of any tickets purchased prior to the issue of your Key Card.
Your Key Card should be kept safe as it is valid throughout the academic year. If you lose your Key Card then please contact Go North East who can cancel and reissue a replacement. A replacement Key Card is £5 and students are liable to cover such costs directly which would be paid to Go North East.
The Key Card issued remains the property of Sunderland College and will not be valid if you are not attending regularly. If you withdraw from your course the Key Card must be returned to the Welfare Team.
Go North East buses are not exclusive to Sunderland College and they form part of the wider public transport network. If you wish to travel with other bus operators then normal tickets prices would be incurred at a cost to yourself.
Travel on Go North East buses is subject to the operator’s normal terms and conditions. Go North East retains the right to refuse travel. All Go North East buses have CCTV installed.
Students using the Go North East buses are representatives of Sunderland College, who reserve the right to withdraw your free travel at any time on the grounds of unacceptable behaviour either within college or while using the Go North East network. In the event of poor behaviour or damage to Go North East buses, Sunderland College will work with Go North East to assess CCTV footage and students may be subject to formal disciplinary action and criminal prosecution if appropriate.
If you have any queries regarding Go North East bus routes or timetables then please visit www.gonortheast.co.uk or call their customer services team on 0191 420 5050.
If you have any queries about support through this scheme then please contact the Welfare Team on 0191 5116000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.