Home / News / Student Athlete wins Gold in Diving Competition

Student Athlete wins Gold in Diving Competition

Sunderland College student Athlete Cameron Watt, recently won Gold when representing the 16-18 boys age group in the National Diving Cup 2019 in Sheffield.

In the first competition, Cameron was awarded the North East Champion and N&D medal (Northumbria and Durham) where he achieved a new personal best with 261 points in the 3m Diving competition. In the 2nd competition, which was the 3m open synchro he and his teammate achieved the N&D gold creating a new personal best for a second time, showing he has significantly improved his performance level over a short period of time.

Carl Jones, Sunderland College TASS Dual Career Academic Co-ordinator said:

“Cameron is a determined student athlete who is studying the Level 3 BTEC 90 Credit Diploma in Sport Development, Coaching & Fitness at Sunderland College. He is currently engaging well with his main study programme producing very good coursework in his Anatomy and Practical Team Sport assessments as he aims to achieve his national target grade. Cameron finds the balance well between his academic approaches and sporting demands which have obviously enabled him to acquire a fantastic reward for all his efforts, we are all immensely proud of Cameron, well done to him!”

Cameron Watt, Level 3 BTEC in Sport (Development, Coaching & Fitness) student said:

“I am very happy at the end result and seeing what I have achieved. I would like to place special thanks to Lee Moore at MN Elite Performance for the consistent, individual based strength and conditioning tailored towards my sport and competition. Lee has really helped me to understand how I can best express myself in performance and gave me the extra motivation to succeed. I would also like to thank Sunderland City Dive Team for their continued support over the last 9 years. I am looking forward to Nationals in June and will do my upmost to win a national medal!”

Cameron is looking forward to taking part in a National competition taking place from the 26th of June. The college as a whole wishes him the best of luck in achieving that national medal!