Home / News / Sunderland College and South Shields FC Academy National Success

Sunderland College and South Shields FC Academy National Success

Sunderland Colleges and South Shields FC are celebrating a number of successes at their unique football academy.

The South Shields FC football academy have recently been crowned national champions of the U19 National League Alliance League Cup and also finished as runners up in the ECFA National Play Offs Final.

The first national title for the academy comes in only its second year of existence since the launch in September 2017, following a long term partnership between Sunderland College and South Shields FC. This season also saw a total of 10 student athletes representing South Shields FC first team and an impressive run in the prestigious FA Youth Cup.

Two South Shields FC Academy squads travelled together and played back to back national cup finals on the 8th of May against Basford United FC and the 9th of May against South Gloucestershire and Stroud College at the Football League grounds of Walsall FC and Port Vale FC respectively.

Callum Guy scored the winning goal for South Shields FC in their victory against Basford United to give the club and college their first national trophy. Callum was also awarded the Young Player of the Year Award for South Shields FC at their recent end of season presentation evening at Mariners Park.

Carl Jones, Sunderland College Football Development Centre Coordinator said:

“It has been a pleasure to oversee the academy this season, the level of professionalism our student athletes have shown has been fantastic to see. I am absolutely delighted for everyone connected to the football club on their united success this season.”

Will McCamley, Level 3 BTEC Sport (Performance & Excellence) student added:

“I have had the most amazing 2 years at Sunderland College and South Shields FC. A special thanks goes to my coaches Graham Fenton and Lee Picton, the experience they provided, their daily input and the platform for development they have provided so I was able to showcase my skills has been everything I could have wished for. I have seen a remarkable change in my confidence levels since the beginning of the programme. The friendships I have made within the academy is something I will hold onto fondly and the experience gained has prepared me well for the future.”

If you have a talent for sport and are interested in joining one of our TASS accredited sports academies, click here to find out more.