One in ten children have a diagnosable mental health condition and 75% of mental health problems have begun by the age of 24. Mental ill health can affect a young person in every area of their life, including family, school, friendships, the workplace and the wider world. Mental ill health can be worsened by negative stereotypes and stigma from the media, who may sometimes portray mental illness as shameful and dangerous. This course will equip learners with a detailed understanding of mental health conditions - including depression and anxiety - the legislation and guidance surrounding mental health, risk factors that may affect mental wellbeing and how to build resilience against these, as well as the impact mental health concerns may have on young people and others.
This course is ideal for learners who want to increase their knowledge and understanding of children and young people’s mental health. This qualification supports progression onto further mental health qualifications and into relevant employment in the health and social care or education sector.
Students wishing to undertake the certificate should be aged 19 or over. There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification, however, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
|FREE *subject to eligibility checks
|There are no additional costs if you meet the eligibility criteria, which will be explained during enrolment.
The purpose of this qualification is to increase learner’s knowledge and awareness of children and young people’s mental health.
By completing the qualification, learners will develop knowledge of:
- Children and young people’s mental health in context
- Mental health problems commonly associated with children and young people
- The impact of mental ill-health on children and young people
- Support available to maintain mental wellbeing in children and young people
You will be added to our Equal platform, where you will be able to access all the learning resources and assessments to complete. You will be allocated your own personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies. You will be required to work through a series of tasks and activities designed to reinforce the learning process and demonstrate your knowledge. This course is available paper-based too on request.
You should be able to work at a Level 1 in Functional Skills.
This is a 16-week course that requires your own time management for study. You will be given submission dates to keep you focused on the 16-week timeframe.
This qualification is aimed at learners who wish to gain further skills to develop their careers and progress in the workplace. It is suitable for anyone who works with children in either a care or education setting.
This course is split into five manageable units:
Unit 1 -
- Understand the principles of mental health concerns in the context of children and oung people
Unit 2 -
- Legislation and best practice relating to children and young people’s mental health
Unit 3 -
- Living with childhood mental health conditions
Unit 4 -
- Understand how to minimise the risk of mental health concerns in children and young people
Unit 5 -
- Understand causes and diagnosis of mental health concerns in children and young people
Benefits to completing this course:
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Create a long-standing career pathway within the childcare sector
- Courses are delivered via distance learning, allowing learners to choose when and where to study
- Increase your awareness of children’s mental health and be able to better support children and young people with mental health issues
- Engaging and interactive activities that stretch learners’ thinking and help put their new, extended knowledge into practice
- Study will develop learners’ knowledge, skills and confidence to enhance their future work and life
Students who achieve this qualification could progress to: Level 3 Award in the Awareness of Mental Capacity Act 2005, Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce (England) and Level 3 Award/Certificate/Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning.
100% overall A-Level pass rate
97.4% of our apprentices progressed to employment or further study.
Destination data for Sunderland College 2019/20, Apprentice completers.
Our excellent student support services and expert staff will help you reach your potential.
Recognised regionally and nationally for our high-quality approach to careers education