Our Level 3 Diploma in Gym Instructing and Personal Training course educates learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes.
You will also be able to develop your skills and knowledge to pursue a career in personal training.
The course is designed to be blended learning, meaning you can undertake your learning online from home, with some occasional face-to-face sessions.
Some experience of gym-based exercises - including free weights - is highly recommended.
The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore, some degree of physical fitness is necessary.
Teaching is a combination of practical, workshops and seminars.
Assessment is through a variety of methods including:
- Multiple choice examination
- Portfolio of evidence
- Practical demonstration
We have very strong links with a number of health and fitness based employers, many of which are previous Sunderland College alumni.
Our fitness graduates are guaranteed interviews at Everyone Active for appropriate vacancies.
CIMSPA professional standards endorsed.
This qualification gives you the 'license' to be a gym instructor and personal trainer in a dynamic and vibrant industry.
All content can be accessed remotely through our learning platform.
There will be the opportunity to attend face-to-face sessions on occasion, in addition to compulsory assessment days.
During the qualification learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness
- Nutrition for exercise, health and fitness
- Lifestyle and medical factors that affect wellbeing
- Analysis of client information using the most accepted techniques
- Assessment of a client’s current health and fitness status
- Planning and conducting of physical activity sessions, within a variety of environments using multiple resources
- Client consultations using the most accepted methods and providing strategies for successful behaviour change
- Communication skills to effectively build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals
- Legal and professional requirements for personal training
- How to set up and manage a personal training business on a self-employed basis
- How to manage, evaluate and improve own performance
You could progress to an apprenticeship or gain employment in the leisure and fitness industry.
Alternatively, you could progress to Higher Education to study a health and fitness or personal training related qualification.
100% overall A-Level pass rate
97.4% of our apprentices progressed to employment or further study.
Destination data for Sunderland College 2019/20, Apprentice completers.
Our excellent student support services and expert staff will help you reach your potential.
Recognised regionally and nationally for our high-quality approach to careers education