Call 0191 511 6000
Award to be received
Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Post Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) Part-time, In-service PGCE
University of Sunderland
Who is this course for?
This programme is run in partnership with the University of Sunderland. The qualification you will receive is awarded by the University of Sunderland.
This course is for people who hold a degree qualification and are currently teaching in the post compulsory sector. This is a valuable opportunity to gain a recognised University qualification as you improve your teaching skills and develop your understanding of learners and learning.
For full details please see University of Sunderland programme by clicking here.
What do you need to apply for the course?
- All students for the PGCE programme must have the equivalent of a full degree from a British University at the time the programme commences.
- All students for the Certificate programme must have a minimum of NQF Level 3 or equivalent in their subject specialism or extensive authenticated professional experience of their subject
- All students must have NQF Level 2 (or equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics on entry to the programme
- All students must successfully complete DBS clearance
- Have a minimum of 50 teaching hours in your first and second years.
- Be working in a full teaching role as specified in the Professional Standards for Teachers and Trainers by the Education and Training Foundation.
- Be teaching a range of group sizes including small group work and large group work
- If your application is successful you will be required to complete an initial assessment and formal interview.
- (You will need to produce certificates on enrolment.)
NOTE: Although this is a two-year course, those of you who hold a level 4 Certificate in Education as well as appropriate English and Mathematics qualifications could qualify for DIRECT ENTRY into Year 2 after completing a study task; this would be discussed further at interview.
What are the key things you'll learn?
You will learn the practical skills and theoretical underpinning knowledge of teaching and learning within the following modules of study:
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Centre
- Developing Theories of Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Practical Teaching and Professional Development
- Contextualising Policy & Curriculum
- Enhancing Learning through Innovation & Change
- Advancing Practical Teaching & Professional Development
How you will learn
You will develop both your practice and your understanding of learning theories through group work, assignments, presentations, reports and essays. Developments in your teaching practice will be assessed through 8 observations across Year 1 and Year 2.
Where could this course take you?
This course qualifies you to teach students above the age of 14. After this course you can go through professional formation and achieve Qualified Teaching and Learning Status (QTLS) through the Education and Training Foundation the Lifelong Learning Sector. You can also progress to a BA Honours degree in Education and Training at the University of Sunderland.
What costs will you incur?
2016 Tuition fees are £2,250 per year
Other course costs:
DBS Clearance Fee £44
Printing for your course – you will receive £30 credit for printing which will be paid in three instalments of £10 per term. Any printing requirements in excess of this can be purchased.
Purchasing of course texts is optional. You will have full free access to Sunderland College Learning Centre books, journals and internet and computer use and also library resources at the University of Sunderland.
You will be expected to provide your own pens, paper, and folders.
Previous Student Experience
This course has helped me to realise the importance of thinking about what I'm doing and how best to aid learning on a daily basis.David Atkinson PG/CE in PCET Graduate 2011