At Sunderland College we aim to provide financial help to students that need it the most. That’s why full time students aged 16-18 could receive help with the cost of studying on a School Leaver course with us through our 16-18 Bursary + Free Meals Scheme.
Young people will be eligible to receive financial support from Sunderland College as outlined below in the following categories:
1. Travel costs will be paid up to a maximum of £60 a month/£16 per week, via the cheapest form of transport, for any student where the annual household income is less than £25,000. Students must live more than ½ mile away from their main campus of study to be eligible. Students eligible for Travel Support through the 16-18 Bursary can either receive payments or use a free bus which may be in operation. Essential kit costs will also be paid for students eligible in this category.
2. A bursary worth £1,200 a year will be available to assist with travel and other costs, in the following circumstances where the young person is:
• Living in Care or a Care Leaver
• Claiming Income Support or Universal Credit in their own right
• Claiming Employment and Support Allowance together with Personal Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance in their own right
3. Free meals will be issued to eligible students worth £2.41 per day for any student whose parent(s)/guardian(s) or themselves are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
• Income Support
• Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
• Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
• Pension Credit (Minimum Guarantee)
• Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
• Child Tax Credit only, provided they have an annual income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190. (Claimants in receipt of Working Tax Credit together with Child Tax Credit are not eligible for meal support)
• Universal Credit (during the initial roll out of benefit)
• Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition, students eligible for free meals can also access a free breakfast at main College campuses, up to the value of £1 a day.
Payments will be made on a monthly basis subject to satisfactory attendance, progress and conduct at College. Students are expected to achieve excellent attendance on their full programme of study in order that payment can be made.
Want to know more?
Our Welfare Team are happy to talk about the support available to our students and can let you know what is available depending on your personal circumstances. To get in touch just call 0191 511 6000 or email email@example.com. Click the following links to download our Guidance and Application Form for our 16-18 Bursary Scheme and College Bus Service. Please find the Bus Application Form here.