GCSEs have changed!
Find out all you need to know about the numerical grading system.
- The new GCSEs will be more challenging
- GCSEs will be graded 9–1, instead of A*–G
- 9 will be the top grade (higher than a previous grade A*)
- 1 will be the lowest grade
- There are more grades at the top end to recognise higher achieving students
- Grade 4 will be known as a ‘standard pass’
- Grade 5 will be known as a ‘strong pass’ and will be equivalent to a high C and low B on the previous grading system
- Grade 4 will remain the level that students must achieve without needing to resit English and Maths post-16
- By 2020, exam certificates will contain only number grades