Whether you’re looking to come to Sunderland College or are already a student with us, our Matrix-accredited Careers Education & Guidance Team is here to help you. The College’s Careers Education & Guidance Team offers all prospective and current students free access to informal and impartial information, advice and guidance.
Our team of Careers Education & Guidance Advisers are professionally qualified and experienced practitioners. We aim to ensure that you receive the information, advice and guidance required to make informed decisions that will best help you achieve your goals. Access to the service is open to all and does not depend upon existing or future attendance at the College. All requests for advice and guidance will be treated in a supportive and confidential way.
We can help you with:
- Information on all College courses, including home study
- Guidance to aid transition into employment, training or higher education
- Guidance on changing courses or careers
- Course applications and enrolling onto a course
- Career planning
- Marketing your skills and experience in CVs, applications and digital platforms
- Preparation for interviews and assessments
- Referrals to other services including Student Welfare and the Learning Support Team
Click here to view our statement of service
Meet your Careers Team
Strategic Careers Leader
Vikkie Morton, Assistant Principal Student and Customer Experience
0191 511 6001 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruth Magnus, Director of Student Services
0191 511 6000 email@example.com
Careers Education & Guidance Team
Deborah McHale, Mark Ratcliffe and Michael Wildish
To speak to a member of the College Guidance Team please call 0191 5116000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Progress and Development Team Bede Campus
Sunderland Sixth Form – Gillian Brown, Student Progress and Development Manager: email@example.com
Sport, Health & Wellbeing Faculty – Coleen Nevins, Student Progress and Development Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital, Creative and Business Faculty – Danielle Oliver, Student Progress and Development Manager: email@example.com
Engineering, Construction & Commercial Faculty – Nicola Warburton, Student Progress and Development Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hartlepool Sixth Form – Lisa Rochnia, Student Progress and Development Manager: email@example.com
Sunderland College is one of ten college’s in the north east of England who are part of a Careers Hub, working in partnership with the North East Local Enterprise Partnership (NELEP). There are eight clearly defined benchmarks for high quality careers education that improve students’ transition from school to work by identifying routes to a successful working life. Our Careers Education offer has been based upon these benchmarks and best practice identified throughout the sector. Further information is available at: www.goodcareerguidance.org.uk
The focus of careers education and guidance at Sunderland College is to ensure that all students (FE and HE) have equal access to an independent and impartial careers service in order to fully prepare to move into further studies or employment and realise their full potential. We will help you to explore your options, plan your next steps and make realistic choices about your education and career plans.
Careers Programme Calendar
We offer an extensive programme of careers guidance and support throughout the year. To view our latest calendar, please click here.
Current students can also access the Information, Advice and Guidance service on Moodle by clicking here.
Parents / Carers can access information on the Careers offer for their child/ guardian by speaking with their dedicated Student Progress and Development Tutor
If you are an employer and would like to speak to someone regarding opportunities to engage in our Careers programme, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are from a school, post-secondary training provider or local authority and would like to speak to someone regarding opportunities to engage in our Careers programme, please contact email@example.com
If you are looking for information about different career options, you can access Careers Coach, where you will find details about job roles, employment rates and the qualifications you will need to get there.
Advice and information about Higher Education can also be found here – www.futureme.ac.uk
Evaluation of Programme
The Careers programme is assessed for its quality and positive impact on students through a number of methods:
- The destinations of students after leaving their courses. The College Group commissions external research on the destinations of students and reports this to the DfE, Ofsted and the local economic partners such as NELEP
- The numbers of students accessing the services on offer
- Student feedback after 1:1 and student development sessions
- Termly by the Careers and Employability Committee, feeding into to self-assessment processes
- Annual report to Governors on Career and Employability
- Annual audit as part of the NE Ambition College Careers Hub
- Matrix Quality Standard re-evaluation and accreditation