Award to be received
BTEC First Diploma in Engineering (Top Up)
Who is this course for?
This study program is for people who are interested in a career in engineering within the manufacturing industries or who would like to progress to a Level 3 in Engineering.
What do you need to apply for the course?
You will need to have completed year one of BTEC level 2 First award.
What are the key things you'll learn?
This study program has three core units’ topics:
- The Engineered World (Year 1)
- Investigating an Engineered Product (Year 1)
- Introduction to Communication for Engineering
As well as four mandatory units:
- Health and Safety in Engineering
- Engineering Materials
- Interpreting and Using Engineering Information
- Mathematics for Engineering
Other specialist units could include:
- Electronic Circuit Construction (Year 1)
- Engineering Design
- Operation and Maintenance of Electrical Systems
- Operation and Maintenance of Electronic Systems
If you do not have a grade 4/5 GCSE in English you will have to complete either functional skills or a GCSE whichever is deemed appropriate once you have been assessed.
How you will learn
This study program is taught with a mixture of classroom based theory and practical work when applicable.
In addition to the main program you will be required to attend personal development and works experience sessions these are included in the program to ensure support for you at college and support in understanding requirements of employers.
Where could this course take you?
After completing this study program, you could progress to the BTEC Level 3 Diploma, Extended Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Engineering which can lead to higher education. You could also use the qualifications to apply for apprenticeships in engineering or as preparation for engineering in the armed forces.