Home / News / Around the world in one day

Around the world in one day

Students have been thinking global as part of an ‘Around the World in One Day’ event.

Across Sunderland College’s five campuses the globally inspired activities have included bite-size language lessons in Chinese and Spanish, a ‘how to wear a sari’ styling session, myth-busting meetings on topics such as asylum seekers and much more.

Dr Samia Gillani, an English language lecturer and chair of the Racial Equality Focus Group at Sunderland College, said: “It’s important that we celebrate the diversity of our city and our student population. It’s been a great event, and the students have really enjoyed experiencing other cultures and taking part.”

“The events are not just designed to bring students together but also to bring the community together.”

Emilia Kostalova, 27, a pharmacist from Slovakia is an English language student at Sunderland College’s Bede campus and has been hosting a series of origami classes to share her passion and skill for this ancient Japanese art.

She said: “When I was traveling in Europe a Japanese friend taught me some basic origami skills and from there I was hooked.

“It’s been a fun to share one of my talents with the other students and learn from other people too. I’ve learnt so much and have hopefully passed on my passion for origami. ”

Photo caption: Emilia Kostalova demonstrates her origami skills