Home / News / Windy City dream takes off

Windy City dream takes off

Chicago beckons for a former Sunderland College student who is about to jet-off to start her dream job in the United States.

Ledine Mitchelson, 21, has landed a year-long internship with the Courtyard Marriott Hotel group working in its Chicago hotel.

Originally from Southwick, Sunderland, Ledine will get to put into practice all she has learnt during her three year travel and tourism course at Sunderland College.

Ledine, who hasn’t been to America before, is most looking forward to experiencing a different culture and learning more about her chosen career.

She said: “Travel and tourism is an industry I’m fanatical about so getting this internship is a dream come true.

“I’ve worked hard at college and then university for nearly five years now – so I’m eager to get out there and put everything I learned to the test.

“I applied for the position months ago and never thought anything more of it so to get the call inviting me out to Chicago left me a little shocked.”

During her year in Chicago Ledine will work across all hotel departments, including housekeeping, food and beverage, front desk and managerial.

She spent three years studying travel and tourism at Sunderland College and has just completed the second year of a three year course at Sunderland University.

Her lecturer during her time at Sunderland College was Kelly Mounsey. Kelly said: “Ledine is incredibly hard-working and one of the most capable students I’ve ever taught.

“When she told me about the trip to America I wasn’t surprised as I expected her to do well.

“Ledine’s story is a great example of what students from Sunderland College can go on to achieve – we’re already incredibly proud of her.”

Ledine, who lives with her dad, expects to fly to Chicago any day and is just waiting on her Visa.

She said: “I’ll be sad to leave Sunderland but this is the start of a great adventure for me.

“Everyone has been incredibly supportive and it’s thanks to people like Kelly at Sunderland College that I am able to go.

“Not only will the trip be a great experience but it will also help further my career in travel and tourism.”

For more information of Sunderland College’s travel and tourism courses call 0191 511 6000 or email: info@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk.