Home / News / Art students scoop awards

Art students scoop awards

TWO students have had their artistic talents recognised by a judging body from the Washington Young Achievers Arts Awards.

The winning students Helen Adamson and Julied Jasmin Mustard, both 17 and A2 Graphic Design students, were awarded the prize at a recent ceremony celebrating young artists which was held at The Stadium of Light.

Helen Adamson, said: “I was delighted to be awarded the young achievers award for the youth arts category and felt very flattered that my work had stood out to the judges.  I’m grateful to Sunderland College and my tutor for allowing me to participate in the Washington art exhibition and for giving me the support and encouragement I needed.”

The college’s arts lecturer Lisa Jackson submitted the entries and commented: “The recognition for both the students is fantastic and the award competition is an excellent opportunity for young people to showcase their talent and creative skills in a gallery environment.  It also helps the students to be recognised as future artists and designers and some companies have contacted the college regarding commissioned pieces of work.

“Both students demonstrated sophisticated and exciting designs and we are very pleased that two of the winners are from Sunderland College.   It is very encouraging as we are preparing to move later in the year into a new Visual and Performing Arts purpose built building at the college’s Bede campus, this will give more students opportunities as we will have the latest state-of-the-art equipment and technology.  We are confident more of our students will be successful in the Washington Young Achievers Arts Award next year.”