Home / News / Award cements future for bricklaying student

Award cements future for bricklaying student

A student has laid down the foundations of his career after being recognised as the second best bricklayer in the North East at an annual competition.

Connor Pearson, a Level 2 first year bricklaying student at Sunderland College, was awarded the runner up junior bricklaying honour after competing at an all-day challenge against Level 2 second year students at SkillBuild, an annual competition which was this year held at Hartlepool College of Further Education.

Trainee bricklayers from across the region attended the competition on Thursday, June 19 and were put through their paces to build a model from a diagram under the watchful eye of expert judges.

The competition has taken place for around 40 years, travelling around the country looking for the best in regional talent with the first rounds being a warm up for the national final.  The competition is organised and supported by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB), the Sector Skills Council and Industry Training Board for the construction industry.

Connor, aged 19, who has been working for Ian Swansbury Builders during his time at Sunderland College, said: “It was such a shock to win the award because I was competing against more experienced Level 2 students.  Both my lecturer and boss believed I could do it and encouraged me to go for it – I’m really pleased I did because it’s going to help my future career in building.”

Jimmy Stobbart, bricklaying lecturer at Sunderland College, said: “From the first time I saw Connor with a trowel in his hand, I knew he was going to be a good bricklayer – he always took his time and made sure every brick was perfect.  It is a pleasure to come to work every day knowing I have students such as Connor to teach.

“I’m so pleased his skills have been recognised at such a prestigious industry event and I believe next year he will go all the way to win.”

For more information Sunderland College, visit www.sunderlandcollege.ac.uk, call 0191 511 6000 or email info@sunderlandcollege.ac.uk.